Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday 11.1.2009

It has been a while since I have posted an update, but don't let that fool you into thinking the project has gone quiet. It has been an eventful year since leaving Tanzania.

Living has far surpassed any and all expectations and hopes that I had. He has made regular weekend visits to Majengo to check up on the children and families, and this week he is out talking with the schools to get attendance records, grades, and information for enrollment in 2010. Unfortunately, with the upcoming wedding, I will not be able to head back to Moshi until next summer. It is with complete trust that I will hand over next years school payments to Living to take care of. I would be nowhere without his help.

Not all the news has been positive, however. Earlier this summer Living had updated me that one of the children was ill. He went to Majengo to meed the child and hopped from hospital to hospital to see a doctor. I woke up one morning only to read an email that the diagnosis was HIV. I got back into bed and cried for a little while. I care about these kids like I would my own, and this was terrible news.
I stayed in bed for a while until I was ready to restart my day, hoping it would be better the second time around. I did a little research and found that Tanzania has a program to provide free HIV meds to anyone who needs them, provided they can get to a clinic and wait endless hours to be seen. But again, Living has been amazing. He makes sure all is taken care of, and that this child goes to see the doctor every month. He also took it upon himself to see that all the other children were tested, and reported back with nothing but good news.

I am still waiting to hear back on the children's records from this past year. I have no doubt that they have all done an excellent job.

So, now that things are settling in to a fine rhythm, I am happy to say it's time for all of this to be disrupted.
The blog is moving.
To where? Well, The Majengo Project's very own website!

There I will be able to provide updates and pictures, answer questions, manage donations, and set up a place for fund-raising events. Check it out and feel free to send me questions, input, and other ideas.

http://www.themajengoproject.com

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment