Sunday, February 15, 2009

I have no idea what day and time it is

I'm sitting in Schipol Airport waiting for my flight to board. Yesterday was a long day, and today is going to be even longer.

We stopped by the families homes to say goodbye and check in on them one last time. The kids were all so happy to see us, and that always feels good. Abeidi had told his grandmother he wanted to come home and live with me, and Saumu said she wasn't going anywhere all morning because her wazungu were coming to visit. It was really cute. I told Abeidi if he studied really hard and did well in school he could come visit when he was older. Maybe that's some motivation (though I don't really think he needs much).

Fatuma had brewed up another thermos of her delicious tea and had it waiting for us. It was another scorching hot day, and even hotter in her house. After one cup of tea I was sweating buckets, but she insisted on serving more, and how could I say no?! I had intended to get more photos with the kids before we left, but couldn't bear the thought of taking photos when I was drenched in sweat. I actually looked forward to going outside to the 90 degree weather to cool down.

Over at Hamisi's house it was really nice to see that he had a pair of black shoes for school. It's part of the uniform, but I didn't have a chance to buy them myself, nor was I up for the challenge of the market. I handed his mother a 10,000 tsh note to buy a pair of shoes and the rest to go towards beans. It was a big leap of faith to hand out money like that, and it was great to see that she had kept her word and bought shoes so quickly. Having parents show such enthusiasm is what will keep this project alive.

Living is going to be checking on the children 2-4 times a month, and will be sending updates regularly. I really hope that over the next year this project takes off, and everyone does well. So far it's off to a great start and I couldn't be happier.

ANyway, my battery is dying and I don't have a place to plug my computer in here. I'll be back off and on throughout the year with updates as I receive them.
I want to thank everyone for their contributions and support throughout the last few months, and for the shared enthusiasm. It wasn't just me that made this happen. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment